As we bid farewell to another year, many of us have the tendency to reflect upon the year and review our achievements (or lack of), and set goals for the new year. Whilst this is a nice exercise, have you noticed that sometimes the same things appear on your list again and again?
For instance if losing weight, getting out of debt, or spending more time with family keeps appearing year after year, chances are you will repeat the same pattern – feel bad about it in December and let it roll over to another New Years resolution in January! Patterns keep repeating until we become conscious about them, realise that doing the same things will NOT produce different results, and begin to do something different to before.
This difference can be as subtle as having a different perception about the goal, feeling different when you think of it, or focusing on what you need to believe to get the goal rather than how bad you feel now when you don’t have it. Since our minds are stuck on the same track, doing any small thing differently changes the track in your mind about the topic, and suddenly you may find that we are moving closer to what we want!
This December, I invite you to review your goals and set them differently; ask yourself the following questions:
- Deep inside, do I really want this? (If you don’t, it’s okay! Perhaps it’s something you thought you should want it but don’t.)
- What unconscious benefits am I getting from not achieving this? (It usually is feeling of being “right”, or not having to be “responsible” for the result.)
- What’s more important to me, getting what I want or keeping that benefit?
- How will getting this goal make a difference to my life in 2019?
- What will life look like, and how will I feel when I achieve this?
- What do I need to believe in order to achieve this?
- Can I imagine myself believing that?
- What is one small step I can take now toward that goal?
I hope that these questions give you some insight towards you goals so you can adjust, recreate or reaffirm them.
Wishing you a beautiful end of the year and loving wishes for 2019!