Most people these days strive to be “slim and toned”. This is mostly due to today’s society claiming that “slim and toned” is basically the sign of modern beauty. What does being “slim and toned” actually mean though? Does it mean that your healthy? Does it mean that your happy? Does it mean that your diet is on point? Does it mean to achieve this so called standard, we all have to calorie count? The truth is, you can be slim, toned but you could also be one of those people mistreating your body just to achieve a body that society deems “worthy”. There is no such thing as “the perfect diet”, but it’s important to treat our bodies right. If you put the right things in, you will be able to do whatever it is you want to do to your best ability.
You can almost say that the diet industry has somewhat fooled the population. These fad diets, while may have a quick fix, is almost impossible to maintain. Yes, you might get to your desired weight, but how long will you be able to keep it up? It’s kind of frustrating because it actually is a very simple equation. The key to a healthy, happy life is BALANCE. For the most part, aim to eat foods provided by mother nature. Fruit, Vegetables, Whole grains, Legumes should be eaten in abundance, they’re packed with nutrients and could be enjoyed on a regular basis. Foods like meat and dairy should be carefully monitored. Enjoy it, but maybe 1-2 portions a day. Finally, there is always that one guilty pleasure, it may be ice cream, French fries, burgers… You still can eat it, in fact you should enjoy it, but just maybe once a week. View it like a treat and feel no regret after!
While eating the “right” foods is important, it is just as important to move. Whether it is a power walk for 10 minutes or swimming for an hour, any workout is better than none. Not only will it make it much easier to maintain weight but it has a number of benefits.
1. It improves moods. When you exercise, your body stimulates brain chemicals which release endorphins, giving you the best high you could ever possibly get.
2. Improves your self esteem and promotes positive self-image.
3. It’s a good way to de-stress.
4. It promotes better sleep. Regular exercise can help you fall asleep faster and deepen your slumber.
5. It’s fun. Imagine going with a friend and just playing basketball. It’s like your just spending time together with the additional benefits. With so many benefits, why not give it a quick go, just aim for about 30 mins everyday!
(image from http://prettylean.org/tips-to-keep-your-heart-healthy/)